Saturday, March 23, 2013

The $1 Sunburst Mirror

I stumbled across this sunburst mirror on Pinterest from "The Jolly James" blog. I loved it and wanted to try it. Having just trimmed  a tree in our backyard, I wanted to see what would happen if I were to try natural, untamed sticks rather than dowels. I LOVED the results. I want to try a shorter-stubbier version too, and possibly spray paint the sticks and hang it with ribbon. I will definitely share the results. The best part about this project is that it costs $1! (This is considering you already have hot glue sticks on hand. If not, then it will cost around $2) 

What you Need:
1 bevelled-edge round mirror
A small tree pruner
15 to 20 hot glue sticks
Hot glue gun
A large pile of Sticks


First, You need to buy a round, beveled edge mirror from the dollar store, for $1 of course. You can also find them at craft stores, but you will pay closer to $3 each.

Next, you need to trim your tree, or find a neighbor who is trimming theirs, and take a large pile of sticks. They can vary in thickness, and they don't have to be perfectly straight either- some of mine have a "y" in them with curves and bends. I think it gives it a little more character.

Cut them to the length you prefer. I cut mine around 11". You don't need to measure them though. This takes more time and it will look more natural if you let them vary in length.


Now start gluing! Be sure to put a generous amount of glue under each stick. Hold the stick down until the glue cools enough to hold it in place (about 10 seconds).



As you go, you will need to slide the mirror close to the edge of the table so that you can lay the sticks where they can curve down. This way, when you hang your mirror up, they won't push against the wall.


When you get enough sticks glued around, you will have to start piecing the sticks wherever they will fit. Try to put them in grooves of previously glued sticks so that they stay in place.


When you are finished, take the string and glue the end down into the sticks. I recommend gluing a small piece of stick over the top of the string to make sure it is secure. Leave it here for an hour, or so, to let the glue harden.


When the glue is firm, you can tape around the mirror and paint the sticks, or leave them natural.
 



 
 
I made two of them. They look so cute in my front room, and I can't believe how many compliments they get! (Not bad for $2)
 
*Did you do this project? Send a picture!
Your picture may be featured on My Idea of Home. 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is an incredible idea! You could even use white willow branches around a mirror to hang on a colored wall. Thanks for this great idea. ~TJW

Pin It